Apple Mail is a very nifty application that comes pre-installed with OS X. It checks for new emails and downloads all of them directly to your Mac.
You may already have better alternatives such as Mozilla Thunderbird and Windows Entourage but Apple Mail is much simpler. It even downloads attachments seamlessly and simultaneously which can save you a few minutes of downloading them manually. All you have to do at the end of the day is go through your emails and organize them.
Despite that, as most Apple gadgets and applications, it lacks the compatibility with Microsoft products and for this one the ability to check Hotmail / Windows Live accounts.
Now here's a solution that'll make checking Windows Live Mail possible using Apple Mail.
- Download and install "HTTPmail plugin" [link]
- Open Apple Mail and setup your account then choose HTTPmail instead of POP mail from the Account type drop down menu.
- Once it's logged in go to Mail > Preferences click Accounts and select your account.
- Where it says Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) click on the drop down menu. Then click Edit Server List...
- Create a new entry as shown in the picture below. Make sure to use the server name oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com
- Switch to the Advanced tab and make sure it says Port 25, then click OK.
- Check the box that says Use only this server under the Outgoing Mail Server drop down Box
Now you're good to go.
Please note that this is more like a crack than a 100% solution. Meaning some features won't be fully functional.